It’s that time of year when nonprofits hit the streets begging for donations before the close of the calendar year. It’s a somewhat overwhelming hustle; especially when there are so many problems in the world to solve. But it’s also a bit disheartening when you have but so much money and you have your own family and problems. How can you get involved in a meaningful way during the giving season, without breaking the bank?
Here’s a list of ways that broke people and people on a budget can contribute during this end of year season of giving:
- Volunteer- get your hands dirty. Sweat equity is just as valuable as donated dollars. Find a cause and look up the volunteer positions they have available. Opportunities include anything from building houses to making copies.
- Speak to Your Experience- think of all the opportunities you’ve had in your life. Did you receive a grant or scholarship? Did someone gift you an opportunity? Take time to talk to donors about your experience to help them understand why supporting a specific cause creates real human impact.
- Raise Awareness- use your social media and your networks o share the great work that a nonprofit or campaign are doing. Spreading the word is just one more way to get their campaign in front of new audiences.
- Gift Your Expertise- do you have special professional skills that are in demand? Think of doing pro bono work for a new or established nonprofit. It looks great on your resume and it helps the nonprofit or campaign keep costs down.
- Think Local- we think of all these grand earth shattering issues when if we look right outside our door, there’s so much more we can do to help. What are the problems in your community or at your child’s school? Get involved with making your local community better!
You don’t have to have a billion dollar bank account to make an actual difference. There are so many problems just waiting for a mini super hero like you to solve. It takes effort and a loving spirit to make positive change. My final plug, is to try and give what you can. Every dollar helps in a huge way. Don’t be discouraged... Even if you donate $5 (which is tax deductible) you are helping a nonprofit solve a problem.
Feeling motivated? We hope so! How are you going to help during this season of giving?